Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lost and Found

After winding through the streets from the City Centre, I finally speak up. “Owen, do you even know where we are?” He pauses before answering me.
“Yes. Sort of?” Another pause. He sighs. “No, okay? I lied. I got distracted and this city is built like a maze! Who designed this place?!” He raises his hands up in the air, gesturing at the city walls. He lets them fall back down to his sides.
We keep on walking and he glances down alleyways as we pass them. Owen glances down another, passes it, changes his mind at the last second and grabs my arm as he swings me around toward the alley.
“Ah! Owen!” I giggle and steady myself as I skid to a stop beside him.
“Sorry! It’s this way, I swear.” I give him a look and he squirms underneath my glare. “I’m sure this time!” he says and grabs my arm. I groan as he drags me along.
The snow has mostly melted already with the afternoon sun, and Owen and I have peeled off our winter jackets, stuffing hats and mitts into the sleeves so they don’t get lost.
We walk for a while longer and just before I’m about to blame Owen again for getting us lost, he smacks a hand over my mouth. “Shhh.” He whispers and shoves me into a small doorway, hiding us from whatever is up ahead.
I peek out from behind Owen’s large frame and the doorway, trying to get a look at what he saw. A little way s ahead of us is a group of men that are surrounding another man. The man is backed p against the wall, his posture emanating anger, and he points an accusing finger at one of the other men.
I glance over at the other man, but his face is hidden behind the bodies of those beside him. A few broken phrases reach my ears.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the super late update, but I'm back now from a hiatus, if you want to call it that.

    Enjoy this post! The story picks up from here,

    SnowKitty

    ReplyDelete