Monday, July 1, 2013

Owen Is Always In the Way

“Why, hello there, beautiful.” I look up to see Owen leaning on the table, his eyes locked on to the lady behind the stall. I roll my eyes at him, but then continue to gaze at the shiny objects on the table. “The name’s Owen, Owen Grey. I’m sure with looks like that you have a name to match.” He gives her a goofy grin and winks at her. I pretend to gag.
She glances at me with a smirk, then smiles back at Owen, flicking a piece of loose hair off her shoulder. “Isabella.” She says. She stretches out her hand towards Owen, and he takes it in his own hands and places a kiss on it. I try to hide my grin from Owen. She is playing him like a fiddle.
I clear my throat and say, “These are so lovely Isabella, but do you have something more… unique?” she looks over, studying me. I suddenly feel very self-conscious, and realize that I’m properly dressed for the weather, but she is hardly dressed to be out in public. A shiver runs down my back as I immediately get a feeling of distrust.
“Ah, a treasure seeker I see. I may have something you are looking for.” Her eyes glitter in the morning sunlight as she bends down to reach for something behind the stall. She pulls out a small black box. Isabella opens the box slowly, revealing what appears to be a plain silver chain at first. At second glance, I see more detail. Each link in the chain has been carefully formed into a small snake biting its own tail, and then linked into the next. The eyes of the snakes are small red jewels.
Owen shoves his face in front of the chain, blocking my view. “Whoa.”

No comments:

Post a Comment