Friday, May 3, 2013

It's Winter Again?!


I finish up the necessary steps which require the bathroom, and then head back to my bedroom. I walk over to the window and open the curtains wide. The sun’s rays push the shadows into the corners of my room, and I squint against the brilliance. Outside is a sight that I see now and again, but very rarely this late into the morning. On the ground there is at least two feet of snow. The roads are no longer visible and the landscape has been replaced of all its imperfections, neatly filled in by the white blanket of snow. The sun shines off the white surface, and quite nearly blinds me. I turn away from the window and walk over to my closet. Gazing in, I look around for the necessary equipment for this weather. On my top shelf rests a pair of sunglasses, which I place on my dresser beside the closet. I then proceed to pull out a pair of warm pants, a t-shirt and baggy sweater and a wool scarf. I examine my pile of clothes on my dresser, and then leave the closet and open the top drawer of the dresser to pull out a pair of fuzzy warm socks. That should suffice for a day like today, I hope.

After getting dressed, I trot down the stairs and then slip on my warmest jacket that has fur lining, grab my insulated rubber boots, a hat and some mittens. I wobble on one foot as I slip on one boot and then the other. I shove the hat over my head, and slip my mittens on, tucking them into the sleeves of my coat so that no cold air touches my skin. I reach out for the door, and before I leave, I turn and shout up the stairs, “I'm heading out mom!” I hear some shuffling and a muffled response, which I assume to be a farewell, and then I open the door and head outside.

Immediately after setting foot onto the front steps I am greeted by a strong cold breeze that knocks the air out of my lungs, leaving me attempting to try to breath. The cold bites at my face, and I grab my scarf and pull it up to cover my mouth and nose. My boots are tall, and when I step into the two feet of snow, they are just high enough to avoid getting my socks wet with melted snow. I shuffle through the snow, shoulders hunched as I protect myself as much as possible from the biting wind. It is going to be a long walk to Owen’s house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment